Apple crumble is one of my husband’s favourite desserts. I try to avoid grains for most of my meals, as I always feel better when I eat a higher protein, lower carbohydrate diet. I have tried a few grain-free crumble toppings that I haven’t been happy with, so as a treat I still make us a crumble topping from Oatmeal & gluten-free flour. As you can see in the pictures, it turned a beautiful golden colour. Even better, without all the refined sugar that is normally in a crumble topping, and nutritious coconut oil (all good fat!) instead of butter you can happily tuck in knowing you are having a treat that still provides your body with plenty of goodness.
For the crumble:
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 3 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 2 tbsp honey/sweet freedom/maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- About 1/4 cup coconut oil or enough for the mixture to not be dry
- 350g apples, cored and cut into 1cm/½in pieces (I like the apple peels left on, you can peel yours if you prefer)
- 150g plums, with pip removed, cut into slices
- handful of raisins or sultanas
- drizzle of honey, maple syrup or Sweet Freedom
- 1 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- If you live in a cold climate, melt the coconut oil over a low heat on the stove. Place the oats and gluten-free flour in a large bowl and mix well. Pouring in a little bit of coconut oil at a time rub into the oat mixture. Then mix in the honey/sweet freedom or maple syrup.
- Place the fruit in a large bowl and drizzle over your sweetener of choice (I prefer honey with the plums), gluten-free flour and cinnamon and stir well.
- Spoon the fruit mixture into the bottom of an ovenproof dish, then sprinkle the crumble mixture on top.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the crumble is browned and the fruit mixture bubbling.
- Serve with coconut cream, or try this recipe for coconut custard from the “Not just a Man’s World” blog.
I’d love to hear from you if you have tried this recipe and liked it.
Banjo loves to lick up any spare coconut cream after we have finished our portions.
Have a lovely Friday evening.
Hanri & Banjo