As it’s Halloween , I thought I would bring you some seasonal treats from guest blogger Curly Kel’s kitchen, enjoy…..
Kel’s pumpkin soup
- 1 small pumpkin, (about 1 kg)
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 tbsp sweet freedom/honey
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 500 ml chicken stock or bouillon stock
- 150 ml natural yoghurt
- 1 lemon, juice only
- Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7.
- Peel the pumpkin and scoop out the seeds. Don’t waste them though! Chuck them under the grill and toast them, Delicious! Then Chop the pumpkin into wedges with skin left on and put onto a roasting tray. Scatter around the chopped onion and garlic and tuck in the rosemary sprigs.
- Drizzle over the sweet freedom/honey and coconut oil and roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender and golden. Baste half way through to stop the sweet freedom catching on the bottom of the tray.
- Meanwhile bring the stock to the boil. When the vegetables are cooked, remove skin , put in a blender with the hot liquid and Blend until smooth before adding the yoghurt and lemon juice.
- Return to the pan and season with salt and pepper.
Serve with warm fig and walnut spelt bread topped with coconut oil or humus. Enjoy. x
Fig and Walnut spelt loaf
This delicious bread is fab with both sweet and savoury toppings or simply just spread some coconut oil on top.Here is how to make it
Oven 220/fan 200/425/gas 7
- 1 x 7 g sachet easy bake yeast. I use “allinsons”
- 500 g whole grain spelt flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 300 ml Luke warm water
- 1 tbsp sunflower or veg oil
- 100 g chopped figs
- 50 g chopped walnuts
In a bowl mix together the flour, salt and sugar. Stir in yeast and warm water. Add figs and walnuts and mix well. I use my patissier to do this with the dough hook but hands are just as good. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead well for about 7 minutes. Oil a 2 lb loaf tin. Shape the dough and add to the tin. Cover with cling film or warm cloth and leave somewhere warm to rise or about 40 minutes. Then remove cloth and bake in pre heated oven for 40 mins. Eat warm. Delish! X x
Love Kel xx
Kel teaches yoga every Friday at 7 am at The Gym, Ramsey, Parliament Street, Ramsey, Isle of Man. Visit the gym website for more information here.