So these are not strictly yoga leg warmers, but this is a yoga blog, and…
Free Cardigan Knitting Pattern for the Twisty Bendy Yoga Rag Doll
It was four years ago when I first sketched the idea to design a sewing pattern to make a Yoga Rag Doll. Then, during this past 2020 Christmas, when my mom’s 3 week visit turned into a 2 month stay because of the January 2021 lockdown in the UK, I was finally able to draft, sew, write and illustrate the pattern with the extra time spent at home and the help of my mom.
The sewing pattern, available to purchase on my Etsy store makes and customizable yoga rag doll. The 58cm rag doll with legwarmers, has long limbs with Velcro hands and feet to position into yoga poses and instructions are given to add a bit of weight so that the doll can sit upright. Included are templates to cut and sew the fabric pieces and illustrated instructions guide you through the steps to make the body, and details are included to help sew the hair as well as embroider the face.The doll can be customised through your choice of skin tone fabric, hair length, hair style as well as clothing colours.
After I finished the first of the Yoga Rag Dolls, I asked my mom (who at this point had already been helping me with another knitting pattern), to design a cardigan pattern for the Yoga Rag Dolls. She got straight to it, and designed this lovely garter stitch chunky cardigan that knits in one piece. The cardigan will likely be suitable for a lot of other dolls that are a similar size (the rag dolls measure around 60cm tall). The finished cardigan is around 10cm tall, and 25 cm from sleeved edge to sleeved edge.
To make my three versions of the Twisty Bendy Yoga Rag Doll, I used the following fabrics and supplies (Please note none of the links in this post have been sponsored this is purely to help anyone interested in where I source my supplies from):
Dark skinned long black hair yoga doll:
- Skin Fabric: Klona Cotton Fabric in Brown from Minerva Fabrics;
- Top Fabric: Ribbed Jersey in marled grey from Ebay;
- Legging Fabric: Quilting Cotton from my quilting stash;
- Hair: Rico creative Natur Hemp Yarn from DarnKnit 006 Black
The free cardigan knitting pattern
For the pink cardigan: Drops Snow Old Pink uni colour 09
For the grey cardigan: Drops Andes Grey mix 9015
For the cream cardigan: 2 x strands knitted together of Drops Kid Silk Off White uni colour 01
14 st x 26 rows = 10 x 10cm (Garter Stitch)
The Cardigan is knitted in one piece, starting at the back and continuing to the front and finished by joining the side seams.
K : Knit
P : Purl
- Cast on 16 stitches
- Knit 10 rows garter stitch
- Cast on 10 stitches at the beginning of the next two rows
- Knit 8 rows on 36 stitches in garter stitch
Shape neck :
- K14; K2 together 4x times, K14
- Knit 3 rows garter stitch
Split of neck and shoulders and front:
- K12; cast off 8 stitches; K12
Continue to knit on the one side – left side.
- Knit 5 rows garter stitch
- Cast on 4 stitches, knit to end (16 stitches)
- Knit to last 2 stitches, P1, K1 (moss stitch)
- K1, P1 (moss stitch) K to end
- Repeat the last two rows twice (6 rows in total)
Continue rest of front piece with the two stitches at the front edge of the cardigan in moss stitch
- K11, Cast on 1 stitch in each of next 2 stitches, K1, K2 moss stitch (18 sts)
- K2 moss stitch; knit to end
- Cast off 10 stitches and pattern to end (8 stitches)
- Continue on 8 stitches in pattern for 10 rows
- Cast off in next row.
- Attach wool to the neck edge
- Knit 4 rows in garter stitch
- Cast on 4 stitches; knit to end (16 stitches)
- Knit to last 2 stitches, knit 2 stitches moss stitch
- Knit 4 more rows in pattern with front edge 2 stitches in moss stitch
- K2 moss stitch; K1; cast on 1 stitch in each of next 2 stitches; knit to end (18 stitches)
- Knit 2 rows in pattern with neck edge 2x stitches in moss stitch
- Cast of 10 stitches and knit in pattern to end (8 stiches)
- Continue in pattern on 8 stitches for 10 more rows
- Cast off in next row
Fold cardigan over with open edges to the front.
Sew together the side and sleeve seams.